AIR FORCE TEST PILOT SCHOOL


What is now known as the USAF Test Pilot School has had several homes since its unofficial founding in 1917, and its official founding in 1944. Below are some views of the school's home airfields over the years.


Test Pilot School airfields photos in the USAF Test Pilot School 45th Anniversary Book


Go to page about photo Go to page about photo Go to page about photo

McCook Field, first home of what eventually became the USAF Test Pilot School.

'This Field is Small - Use it All" was a reference to the short 1000 ft. runway at McCook.

Wright Field in the early 40s. Arrow shows the location of the USAAF Air Technical Service Command Flight Test Training Unit.




Go to page about this photo Go to page about this photo Go to page about this photo

Vandalia Airport was home for the Flight Performance School, as located by the arrows.

Building 67 at Patterson Field was home for the School from late 1945 until it was moved to Edwards AFB in 1951.

The School's new home at Edwards was an old wooden maintenance hangar at South Base.




Go to page about this photo Go to page about this photo Go to page about this photo

Test Pilot School at Edwards AFB, Feb. 4, 1951.

Overhead view of Edwards, South Base at bottom, Main Base in center.

Edwards AFB, circa 1988.


Previous Page in Sequence | Next Page in Sequence

Contents Copyright 1997-2000 Bruce Craig -- All Rights Reserved
414