Built straight from the box using kit decals as FS-325. The instructions state this is "F-84G-41-RE, 52-3325, 31st Fighter Escort Wing, Strategic Air Command, Nouassuer Air Base, French Morocco, during Operation Longstride, August, 1953." Operation Longstride was a demonstration of SAC's ability to undertake long distance flights via air refueling. I doubt if the "Shape" nuclear device was carried during that operation. However, the instructions for this livery show the "Shape" included, so, "straight from the box," there it is.
Paint is Testors black gloss enamel as primer, SnJ silver, and Testors Buffing Metalizer Aluminum Plate, with Testors enamels for other colors. Panel shades are done by masking the SnJ before spraying the Buffing Metalizer.
I masked and painted the canopy bracing tapes per the kit instructions. On future builds of this kit, I will use decal strips as I have done with my Tamiya kit builds. The tail of the canopy sits too high when posed open, and the canopy is slighly narrower than the aft deck when posed closed.
The nose gear well fairings are molded integrally with the nose gear well halves. Mine broke off during masking, and I had to glue them back on during final assembly. I suggest they be cut off before basic assembly and painting, to be glued on after painting.
The nose gear strut joins the nose gear braces by a small tab. This joint is weak and it is difficult to correctly align the nose gear. There are aftermarket detail parts, and I suggest using one of these to replace the kit parts.
The decals furnished to represent the anti-glare panels do not fit correctly and are not the correct color. Although I used them for this "from the box" build, I will mask and paint them on future builds.
Although I consider this ProMod kit to be more difficult to build than the Tamiya kit, it also has some features which are better than the Tamiya. The general dimensions are more accurate than the Tamiya, but some details are more accurate on the Tamiya. In general, both kits have their strong points and weak points, and both build into respectable representations of the Thunderjet.
I used yellow zinc chromate for the gear wells, although green zinc chromate was also used on G-model Thunderjets. The blue-with-white-stars decals were not long enough to meet at the bottom center of the fuselage. I requisitioned some patches from another ProMod kit to fill the gap. The "Shape" shows well in this view.
The kit photo etched harness fittings are very nicely done, but the instructions -- or the lack thereof -- do not include sufficient information about what width and length to cut the harness parts. I made mine too long, but they surely look much better than the Tamiya harness decal.